With an increase in the number of phone based social engineering scams, keep the following basic strategies in mind to avoid being scammed or having your information compromised:
• If you see a missed call from an unknown number on your personal or professional device, do not call back. Your account could be charged if you return the call.
• Hang up if you hear no response after a few seconds of picking up the phone.
• Do not trust your caller ID. Be aware that even if your caller ID displays the phone number and/or name of a legitimate person or company, the call is not necessarily coming from that number.
• Never provide credit card information or other private information to anyone who calls you.
• If you receive a phone call and someone immediately asks, “Can you hear me?” hang up. This recent scam uses your recorded “yes” response to authorize purchases.