With health care reform underway and U.S. life expectancy declining for the first time since 1993, the personal-finance website WalletHub conducted an in-depth analysis of 2017’s Healthiest Cities in America.
To identify the places where health is a priority, WalletHub’s analysts compared 150 of the largest U.S. cities across 34 key metrics. The data set ranges from “cost of doctor visit” to “fruit and vegetable consumption” to “fitness clubs per capita.”
|Healthiest Cities||Least Healthy Cities|
|1||San Francisco, CA||141||Augusta, GA|
|2||Salt Lake City, UT||142||Toledo, OH|
|3||Scottsdale, AZ||143||Newark, NJ|
|4||Seattle, WA||144||North Las Vegas, NV|
|5||Portland, OR||145||Corpus Christi, TX|
|6||Irvine, CA||146||Shreveport, LA|
|7||Huntington Beach, CA||147||Laredo, TX|
|8||Honolulu, HI||148||Memphis, TN|
|9||Washington, DC||149||Brownsville, TX|
|10||Santa Clarita, CA||150||Detroit, MI|
- Richmond, Va., has the most mental-health counselors per 100,000 residents, 221.5, which is 14.5 times more in San Antonio, the city with the fewest at 15.3.
- Overland Park, Kan., has the lowest share of adults with 14 or more physically unhealthy days reported in the past month, 7.1 percent, which is 2.7 times lower than in San Bernardino, Calif., the city with the highest at 19.0 percent.
- Jacksonville, Fla., has the lowest cost per doctor’s visit, $68, which is 2.7 times less expensive than in Milwaukee, the city with the highest at $182.
- San Francisco, has the lowest share of adults eating fruits less than once daily, 32.5 percent, which is 1.7 times lower than in Little Rock, Ark., the city with the highest at 56.0 percent.
- Portland, Ore., has the most gluten-free restaurants per 100,000 residents, 12.3, which is 41 times more than in Detroit, the city with the fewest at 0.3.
- Durham, N.C., has the most dietitians and nutritionists per 100,000 residents, 46.8, which is 5.3 times more than in Las Vegas, the city with the fewest at 8.8.
- El Paso, Texas, has the lowest average monthly cost for a fitness-club membership, $12.44, which is 6.2 times less expensive than in Anchorage, Alaska, the city with the highest at $77.56.
- Tallahassee, Fla., has the most walking trails per 1,000 residents, 80.2, which is 53.5 times more than in El Paso, Texas, the city with the fewest at 1.5.
To view the full report and your city’s rank, please visit:
Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a phone, Skype or in-studio interview with one of our experts. Full data sets for specific cities are also available upon request.
WalletHub Communications Manager