Subpart C—User Facility Reporting Requirements
§803.30 If I am a user facility, what reporting requirements apply to me?
(a) You must submit reports to the manufacturer or to us, or both, as specified in paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this section as follows:
(1) Reports of death. You must submit a report to us as soon as practicable but no more than 10 work days after the day that you become aware of information, from any source, that reasonably suggests that a device has or may have caused or contributed to the death of a patient of your facility. You must also submit the report to the device manufacturer, if known. You must submit the information required by §803.32. Reports sent to the Agency must be submitted in accordance with the requirements of §803.12(b).
(2) Reports of serious injury. You must submit a report to the manufacturer of the device no later than 10 work days after the day that you become aware of information, from any source, that reasonably suggests that a device has or may have caused or contributed to a serious injury to a patient of your facility. If the manufacturer is not known, you must submit the report to us. You must report information required by §803.32. Reports sent to the Agency must be submitted in accordance with the requirements of §803.12 (b).
(b) What information does FDA consider “reasonably known” to me? You must submit all information required in this subpart C that is reasonably known to you. This information includes information found in documents that you possess and any information that becomes available as a result of reasonable followup within your facility. You are not required to evaluate or investigate the event by obtaining or evaluating information that you do not reasonably know.
§803.32 If I am a user facility, what information must I submit in my individual adverse event reports?
You must include the following information in your report, if reasonably known to you, as described in §803.30(b). These types of information correspond generally to the elements of Form FDA 3500A:
(a) Patient information (Form FDA 3500A, Block A). You must submit the following:
(1) Patient name or other identifier;
(2) Patient age at the time of event, or date of birth;
(3) Patient gender; and
(4) Patient weight.
(b) Adverse event or product problem (Form FDA 3500A, Block B). You must submit the following:
(1) Identification of adverse event or product problem;
(2) Outcomes attributed to the adverse event (e.g., death or serious injury). An outcome is considered a serious injury if it is:
(i) A life-threatening injury or illness;
(ii) A disability resulting in permanent impairment of a body function or permanent damage to a body structure; or
(iii) An injury or illness that requires intervention to prevent permanent impairment of a body structure or function;
(3) Date of event;
(4) Date of this report;
(5) Description of event or problem, including a discussion of how the device was involved, nature of the problem, patient followup or required treatment, and any environmental conditions that may have influenced the event;
(6) Description of relevant tests, including dates and laboratory data; and
(7) Description of other relevant history, including preexisting medical conditions.
(c) Device information (Form FDA 3500A, Block D). You must submit the following:
(1) Brand name;
(2) Product Code, if known, and Common Device Name;
(3) Manufacturer name, city, and state;
(4) Model number, catalog number, serial number, lot number, or other identifying number; expiration date; and unique device identifier (UDI) that appears on the device label or on the device package;
(5) Operator of the device (health professional, lay user/patient, other);
(6) Date of device implantation (month, day, year), if applicable;
(7) Date of device explantation (month, day, year), if applicable;
(8) Whether the device is a single-use device that was reprocessed and reused on a patient (Yes, No)?
(9) If the device is a single-use device that was reprocessed and reused on a patient (yes to paragraph (c)(8) of this section), the name and address of the reprocessor;
(10) Whether the device was available for evaluation and whether the device was returned to the manufacturer; if so, the date it was returned to the manufacturer; and
(11) Concomitant medical products and therapy dates. (Do not report products that were used to treat the event.)
(d) Initial reporter information (Form FDA 3500A, Block E). You must submit the following:
(1) Name, address, and telephone number of the reporter who initially provided information to you, or to the manufacturer or distributor;
(2) Whether the initial reporter is a health professional;
(3) Occupation; and
(4) Whether the initial reporter also sent a copy of the report to us, if known.
(e) User facility information (Form FDA 3500A, Block F). You must submit the following:
(1) An indication that this is a user facility report (by marking the user facility box on the form);
(2) Your user facility number;
(3) Your address;
(4) Your contact person;
(5) Your contact person’s telephone number;
(6) Date that you became aware of the event (month, day, year);
(7) Type of report (initial or followup); if it is a followup, you must include the report number of the initial report;
(8) Date of your report (month, day, year);
(9) Approximate age of device;
(10) Event problem codes—patient code and device code (refer to the “MedWatch Medical Device Reporting Code Instructions”);
(11) Whether a report was sent to us and the date it was sent (month, day, year);
(12) Location where the event occurred;
(13) Whether the report was sent to the manufacturer and the date it was sent (month, day, year); and
(14) Manufacturer name and address, if available.
[79 FR 8846, Feb. 14, 2014, as amended at 80 FR 10587, Feb. 27, 2015]
§803.33 If I am a user facility, what must I include when I submit an annual report?
(a) You must submit to us an annual report on Form FDA 3419. You must submit an annual report by January 1, of each year. You may obtain this form from the following sources:
(1) On the Internet at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM080796.pdf or
(2) Division of International and Consumer Education, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Ave., Bldg. 66, Rm. 4621, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002, by email: DICE@fda.hhs.gov, FAX: 301-847-8149, or telephone: 800-638-2041.
(b) You must clearly identify your annual report as such. You must submit your annual report to FDA, CDRH, Medical Device Reporting, P.O. Box 3002, Rockville, MD 20847-3002. Your annual report must include:
(1) Your CMS provider number used for medical device reports, or the number assigned by us for reporting purposes in accordance with §803.3;
(2) Reporting year;
(3) Your name and complete address;
(4) Total number of reports attached or summarized;
(5) Date of the annual report and report numbers identifying the range of medical device reports that you submitted during the report period (e.g., 1234567890-2011-0001 through 1000);
(6) Name, position title, and complete address of the individual designated as your contact person responsible for reporting to us and whether that person is a new contact for you; and
(7) Information for each reportable event that occurred during the annual reporting period including:
(i) Report number;
(ii) Name and address of the device manufacturer;
(iii) Device brand name and common name;
(iv) Product model, catalog, serial, and lot number and unique device identifier (UDI) that appears on the device label or on the device package;
(v) A brief description of the event reported to the manufacturer and/or us; and
(vi) Where the report was submitted, i.e., to the manufacturer, importer, or us.
(c) In lieu of submitting the information in paragraph (b)(7) of this section, you may submit a copy of each medical device report that you submitted to the manufacturers and/or to us during the reporting period.
(d) If you did not submit any medical device reports to manufacturers or us during the time period, you do not need to submit an annual report.
[79 FR 8846, Feb. 14, 2014, as amended at 80 FR 10587, Feb. 27, 2015]