The following hospital mergers, acquisitions and general transactions took place or were announced in August, beginning with the most recent.
1. Crittenton Hospital inks deal to join Ascension Michigan: 5 things to know
St. Louis-based Ascension signed a definitive agreement with Crittenton Hospital Medical Center in Rochester, Mich., for the facility to become part of Ascension Michigan.
2. University Hospitals inks merger deal with Samaritan Regional Health System
Cleveland-based University Hospitals and Ashland, Ohio-based Samaritan Regional Health System reached an agreement for SRHS to join the UH health system.
3. Cleveland Clinic to acquire full ownership of Akron General: 5 things to know
Cleveland Clinic is exercising an option to take on full ownership of Akron (Ohio) General Health System after just one year as a minority investor in the system.
4. Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems wins approval to acquire Maine Coast Memorial Hospital
Brewer-based Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems received state approval to acquire Ellsworth-based Maine Coast Memorial Hospital.
5. Jameson Health System solicits partners for M&A: 5 things to know
Jameson Health System in New Castle, Pa., issued requests for proposals to a number of potential merger partners as requested by the Pennsylvania Attorney General.
6. State health board approves BJC, Memorial Hospital affiliation
The Illinois Health Facilities and Services Review Board approved the proposed affiliation between St. Louis-based BJC HealthCare and Memorial Hospital in Belleville, Ill.
7. Peconic Bay Medical Center, North Shore-LIJ merger receives approval
The commissioner of health for New York gave final approval for Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead, N.Y., to join Great Neck, N.Y.-based North Shore-LIJ Health System.
8. The Medical Center to acquire Caverna Memorial Hospital
The boards of directors of Caverna Memorial Hospital in Horse Cave, Ky., and The Medical Center in Bowling Green, Ky., agreed to a deal for the two organizations to join forces.
9. OSU Wexner signs affiliation agreement with Hocking Valley Community Hospital
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus and Hocking Valley Community Hospital, a critical access hospital in Logan, Ohio, signed an affiliation agreement.
10. Lafayette General Health to acquire hospital from HCA
Lafayette (La.) General Health announced it will acquire Regional Medical Center of Acadiana in Lafayette from HCA MidAmerica, a division of Nashville, Tenn.-based Hospital Corporation of America.
11. Bankrupt Maine hospital merges with Mid Coast Health
A bankruptcy judge signed off on the merger of Parkview Adventist Medical Center and Mid Coast Health Services, both based in Brunswick, Maine.
12. Oregon Health & Science University, Tuality Healthcare pursue affiliation
Hillsboro, Ore.-based Tuality Healthcare and Portland-based Oregon Health & Science University signed a letter of intent to pursue an affiliation.
13. Takoma Regional to join Wellmont Health System: 6 things to know
Wellmont Health System, a seven-hospital network based in Kingsport, Tenn., announced it will become the new owner of Greeneville, Tenn.-based Takoma Regional Hospital.
14. North Shore-LIJ forms strategic affiliation with Maimonides Medical Center
Great Neck, N.Y.-based North Shore-LIJ Health System and Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., entered into a strategic partnership designed to help Maimonides better serve the needs of Brooklyn residents.
15. Longmont United Hospital becomes part of Centura Health
Longmont (Colo.) United Hospital, a nonprofit community hospital, officially joined Englewood, Colo.-based Centura Health.
16. Metro Health sale to CHS falls through: 5 things to know
Wyoming, Mich.-based Metro Health Hospital announced it will not close on the planned affiliation with Franklin, Tenn.-based Community Health Systems.
17. Prime to pay $35M for Pennsylvania hospital
Ontario, Calif.-based Prime Healthcare Services entered into an agreement to acquire Mercy Suburban Hospital in East Norriton, Pa., in March, and recently filed documents show that Prime will pay $35 million for the facility.
18. Gundersen, Palmer Lutheran enter formalized partnership agreement: 4 things to know
Gundersen Health System in La Crosse, Wis., and its affiliate, Palmer Lutheran Health Center in West Union, Iowa, strengthened their long-standing relationship through a more formalized partnership agreement.
19. Conway Regional Health System partners with CHI St. Vincent
Conway (Ark.) Regional Health System entered into a five-year management agreement with Little Rock, Ark.-based CHI St. Vincent.
20. CHS sells Arizona hospital to Banner Health
Franklin, Tenn.-based Community Health Systems sold Payson (Ariz.) Regional Medical Center, which is operated by Mogollon Health Alliance, to Phoenix-based Banner Health.
21. TeamHealth inks $1.6B deal to buy IPC Healthcare: 6 things to know
Knoxville, Tenn.-based physician staffing company TeamHealth announced an agreement to acquire IPC Healthcare in an all-cash transaction with an enterprise value of $1.6 billion.
22. Providence Health & Services, St. Joseph Health sign letter of intent: 5 things to know
Renton, Wash.-based Providence Health & Services and Irvine, Calif.-based St. Joseph Health signed a letter of intent to create a new organization.
23. KishHealth inks deal to join Northwestern Memorial HealthCare: 5 things to know
KishHealth System in DeKalb, Ill., signed a definitive agreement to join Chicago-based Northwestern Memorial HealthCare, an academic health system whose entities operate as Northwestern Medicine.
24. UVA Culpeper Hospital to join new regional parent company this fall: 3 things to know
A new regional heath system in Northern Virginia is set up to take over UVA Culpeper (Va.) Hospital this fall.
25. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Alliance to add Lehigh Valley Health Network: 4 things to know
Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown, Pa., entered into a new partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
26. Capella to be sold for $900M: 5 things to know about the deal
Birmingham, Ala.-based Medical Properties Trust signed a definitive agreement to acquire Franklin, Tenn.-based Capella Healthcare.
27. Sentara Healthcare and Pratt Medical Center seal partnership deal
Woodbridge, Va.-based Sentara Healthcare and Fredericksburg, Va.-based Pratt Medical Center finalized a partnership agreement.
28. Lancaster General Health to officially join UPenn Health System
Lancaster (Pa.) General Health became a member of Penn Medicine, the parent organization of Philadelphia-based University of Pennsylvania Health System, August 1.
29. LifePoint seeks to expand footprint into South Carolina
Brentwood, Tenn.-based LifePoint Health signed a letter of intent to acquire Columbia, S.C.-based Providence Hospitals, which includes two facilities and is part of Cleveland-based Sisters of Charity Health System.
30. Virginia Mason, Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital affiliation talks move forward: 3 things to know
Yakima (Wash.) Valley Memorial Hospital is moving forward with an affiliation with Seattle-based Virginia Mason Medical Center.
31. LifePoint Health to buy 80% of Watertown Regional Medical Center: 4 things to know
A deal allowing Brentwood, Tenn.-based LifePoint Health to buy a majority stake in Watertown (Wis.) Regional Medical Center received state approval.
CLICK HERE to see the original article