News

Fire at University of Michigan Health System injures patient

A fire in a procedure room at Ann Arbor-based University of Michigan Health System’s cardiovascular center injured a patient, according to a report from The Ann Arbor News.

The patient had been cardioverted while having an operation, and that caused an arc which led to a curtain catching on fire, according to the report. Hospital employees put the fire out, but it left the patient in the hospital.

Sign up for our FREE E-Weekly for more coverage like this sent to your inbox!

“We are investigating what happened and until that is complete, it would not be appropriate to speculate,” a spokeswoman from U-M Health System told The Ann Arbor News.

The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration has launched an investigation into the incident.