Certified Associate in Healthcare Information & Management Systems (CAHIMS)
What is CAHIMS?
CAHIMS is a new HIMSS health IT certification designed for emerging professionals within the industry (five years or less of experience). This certification demonstrates knowledge of health IT and management systems, facilitating entry-level careers in health IT. It is designed to be a career pathway to the CPHIMS credential.
The program offers an introductory review of the many facets of health IT and information management systems. Those who sit for the exam and pass it will become armed with a valuable credential, qualifying them to facilitate and improve the quality of health IT and business management systems across the healthcare setting.
Who is the CAHIMS credential for?
– Individuals looking to work in a healthcare setting or mid-level professionals seeking career change
– Those who want to learn more about health IT, including clinicians
– Non-IT professionals, working in other departments, who work as an extension of the IT department
– Those enrolled in an academic program at the undergraduate or graduate level, i.e. healthcare informatics, CAHME-accredited program, Masters in Healthcare Administration, or others students
– Veterans returning from active duty
How will the CAHIMS credential help you?
– Is an entry-level certification for people interested in healthcare information and management systems
– Demonstrates your professional knowledge in healthcare information and management systems
– Authenticates your knowledge to assist in facilitating and implementing the health IT life cycle of events
– Establishes a solid foundation that can be used to strengthen abilities, acquire more experience and advance a career path
– Is a first step toward becoming a proven leader in the industry, and may be a career pathway to CPHIMS
A note from the Certification Program Manager at HIMSS, Fritze Roberts:
HIMSS now offers two certifications:
– CPHIMS Requirements – minimum of Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience in the field of Health IT. With a master’s Degree we require 3 years’ experience.
– CAHIMS requirements – high school diploma and some familiarity with Health IT. You can learn more about this certification here: http://hiteducation.org/cahims/
To apply for either exam, go to www.goamp.com and search under
“Health Information Management Systems Society.”
Patrick Lynch, CCE, CBET, fACCE, CHTS-PW, CPHIMS
GMI “Defining Imaging Solutions”
222 Rampart Street
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203
“I received my CPHIMS a couple of years ago. It requires 5 years’ experience. This is about the same,but requires no experience. Great for newly graduated BMETs.” Pat